RSS Feeds

Friday, April 30, 2010

Strategy or Tactics?

Which is more important in social media, strategy or tactics?  That's the question asked this week by TopRank's Online Marketing Blog in great posts here and here.  They asked the question to several marketing and web professionals, and the consensus is that strategy must come first.

Why, then, do so many companies try to grow their online presence before they have a clear strategy? 

Using eMarketing tools like social media, SEO, and online advertising can help you reach a large audience for little or no money.  That can lead to wonderful things for a business that is ready to handle the attention, but it can be disasterous for those that are unprepared.

On Monday I wrote a post about a company that contacted me to offer their services.  My interest was piqued, and I clicked on the link to their website.  However, the content on their website was so inept that I quickly deleted their message.  I will never do business with them, even if they fix their mistakes. 

Their tactics were effective enough to get me to their website, but their lack of an effective marketing strategy turned me away.  Consequently they're worse off than if they never contacted me at all.

Has anyone else had a similar experience they'd like to share?
blog comments powered by Disqus