RSS Feeds

Friday, June 11, 2010

Interruption Marketing

Monday's post about Curing The Social Media Blues generated some wonderful comments.  Unfortunately it also received a comment that was purely spam.  There was no attempt from the commenter to even pretend he was participating in the discussion.  The comment looked like this:
Free Unlimited Entertainment , Bargain Shopping, and Computer Learning Library.
1 Click Media bar
Our Free Gift to You
100% Free Super Entertainment System
100% Free Super Bargain Finder System
100% Free Computer Learning Videos
(hyperlink to cheesy website)

The comment was on a discussion thread in a LinkedIn group, so I personally couldn't remove the comment, but I did contact the group owner to let him know one of his members is a spammer.

What is the point of posting information about your product or service as a comment to another discussion?  I certainly don't mind when readers who make a valid comment include a link to their website or blog (in fact I like that it helps me connect to my readers), but this was pretty lame.  There's no way he generates any business this way.

Looking on the bright side, this is a rare occurrence.  Most of the feedback I get on my blog (or LinkedIn discussions, BizSugar.com, or Twitter) have been great.  Thank you to everyone else who has added something positive to the conversations!
blog comments powered by Disqus